Howard Schumacher serves clients across South Florida as an "of counsel" attorney at Meltzer & Bell, P.A. His solid background in both education and work experience make him a formidable opponent in court, and his determined outlook on criminal defense make him a valuable ally for each of his clients.
- University of Miami, Bachelor of Science (Double Major) in Geology/English, 1985
- Creighton University School of Law, Juris Doctorate
Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Florida Bar Association
- Broward County Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Present, Meltzer and Bell, P.A., Of Counsel
- 1990-Present, Law Offices of Howard J. Schumacher, P.A.
- 1988-1990, Law Offices of Allen S. Kaufman, P.A.
- 1986-1988, Schrempp, Gross & Salerno, P.C.
Teaching Advisory Positions/Certifications
- Teen Court Judge Emeritus Broward County, Florida 2002-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
(Pre-eminent rating by Independent Company responsible for evaluation of lawyers attaining the highest level of legal ability and ethics) after evaluation by their peers
- Who’s Who of South Florida Lawyers
Bar and Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the State of Florida
- United States District Court – Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court- District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals – 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Official Court transcripts available upon request demonstrating cross examination skills against Government’s cooperating witnesses, Federal and State Law Enforcement, expert witnesses.
Pre-trial motions, including motions to suppress evidence/ statements that have previously been granted and their corresponding orders excluding evidence are available upon request.
- Born October 31, 1962 in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Married 24 Years, 3 Children.
- United States v. Evintz Brillant, Federal Court (Southern District of
Florida) – Head of Haitian National Police Drug Task Force—Indicted on
Conspiracy to Import Cocaine (Acquittal)
- United States v. Tyrone Cross, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) -
Indicted as one of a “crew” of organized armed bank robbers victimizing multiple
bank branch locations in Florida (Acquittal)
- United States v. Wilfredo Vazquez, Federal Court for the Southern District of
Florida – Ex – U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Officer indicted for sexual assault on detainee
- United States v. Belkis Camara-Marquez, Federal Court for the Southern District
of Florida – Former Cuban Physician acquitted of Bribery in Furtherance of
Medicare Fraud (Acquittal)
- United States of America v. Glendell Edison, Federal Court (Middle District of Florida) – Collier County Sheriff Sergeant indicted for racketeering, extortion, trafficking and money laundering
- United States v. Torres, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – Murder for Hire arising from Cocaine Conspiracy (Acquittal)
- United States v. Ionni Kaluris, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – conspiracy to Import Cocaine by running a Yacht Basin for the production of motor yachts used to smuggle 1000 + kg of cocaine (Acquittal)
- United States v. David Ogg, Federal Court (Southern District of Florida) – Indicted on Conspiracy to Possess with Intent to Distribute Cocaine (Acquittal)
- State v. Clayton Lawrence, Broward County, Florida Circuit Court – Armed
Home invasion case with two cooperating co-defendants/witnesses (Acquittal)
- State v. Donald Schleig, Okaloosa County, Florida Circuit Court – Air Force E5
Officer charged with Aggravated Sexual Assault on an Incapacitated Person
- State v. Errol Windhom, Leon County, Florida Circuit Court – Principal of
Second Chance Middle School charged with Lewd assault on a student
- State v. Douglas Sayan, Broward County, Florida Circuit Court- Obtained
Governor’s Pardon releasing Defendant convicted of 1st Degree Murder following
13 years imprisonment, after being falsely accused and convicted
- United States v. Jorge Aleman, Federal Court, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, Obtained reversal on appeal for a life sentence given to alien smuggler where death of a passenger resulted – case remanded for re-sentencing (10 year sentence)
- United States v. Wolfgang Von Schlieffen, Federal Court Southern District of
Florida – Overturned conviction of Defendant and recouped approximately
$300,000.00 of legal fees under Hyde Amendment for False Prosecution